Wednesday 21 November 2012

Alligator Pie, Alligator Pie.....

...if I don't get some, I think I'm going to die."  So starts Dennis Lee's famous poem called "Alligator Pie".  As a child the collection of poems in the book of the same name was one of my favourites.  Published in 1974 it quickly became part of the Canadian children's literature canon.  Featuring local, Canadian, places and themes it is a whimsical compilation that appeals to children of all ages.

So, when my brother called me up to let me know that Soulpepper Theatre in Toronto had staged "Alligator Pie", a play based on Dennis Lee's poetry we jumped at the chance to go and see it.  This past Saturday morning at 7:30 am we packed the kids into the car and headed to Toronto for the day.  After a quick stop to drop my daughter off with some family we headed down the the Distillery District to catch an 11:00 am show....a perfect time for young children!

WOW!!!!  What a FANTASTIC show!!!!  My son (3 1/2) LOVED it and so did we!  I'm still getting chocked up when I think about it.  Not only did his face light up in delight it transported me back to my childhood.  What a gift! 



A small group of 5 actors, led by Mike Ross, brought us into Lee's childlike world and treated us to music, dancing and the spoken word.  The use of "found" objects to create music was just delightful as was the use of "real" instruments.  Highlights for me included a rendition of "Psychapoo" and a great hip hop version of "Tricking".....and the bubble wrap too! (When a package from Chronicle Books arrived full of bubble wrap on Monday we were pretty excited!!!).



Go to Soulpepper's homepage to see a trailer of the play and get to reserve your tickets.  Go see it before December 9th if you can.  You won't regret it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment